Background and Problem
The increase in costs of delivering a subscription based international newspaper was becoming onerous on the publisher. In addition to the costs, delivery to certain addresses globally was erratic, but this was the way the company had always done it! The MD asked Southern Group Business Advisors (SGBA) to assist.
The company carried out 2 distinct sets of market research:
- They communicated with their customer base;
- They ascertained the key elements of why their users subscribed to the publication.
- What they liked and equally what they did not value
- They looked at other areas of the market place where they currently did not have subscribers.
- They analysed their competitors
They held workshops, with all the key staff to look at the best possible delivery option for the newspaper. It became clear that the best option for the company was an internet based delivery method. This would satisfy the challenge of reducing the hard copy delivery costs and reduce delivery time.
But they had no skills in this area.
The issues then became.
- A campaign to gain market confidence and acceptance of the new product from existing readers and advertisers alike.
- New marketing activity to develop new subscribers
- Training the staff to work with the new paradigm, both in terms of the technology as well as understanding the implications on increased customer interaction the publication now had with its readers all over the world via the internet.
New delivery methods, big cost savings and most importantly, increased responsiveness to their users requirements.
For more information contact Shaun Brailsford or give us a ring on 0333 444 8522 to discuss any ways in which we can assist you.