Recently the Southern Group Business Advisors (SGBA) were asked to assist a small distribution company where sales were stagnating.
Analysis showed that the larger accounts were doing all right but all the smaller accounts were loosing sales.
Effectively the sales force were only selling to the larger, easier clients and picking up the low hanging fruit and ignoring all the smaller, more difficult time consuming clients.
So on paper, the turnover was flat or slightly declining but in reality;
- Their market reach and penetration was declining.
- Smaller clients were dropping off the bottom.
- Business was being concentrated into a few large clients per territory.
- Overall the trend was flat or down.
- This trend was going to accelerate.
So in conjunction with the internal and external sales teams;
1) Started a training programme to assist the sales staff analyse their own territories and create development plans for new business, forcing them to increase the number of their customers
2) Trained Internal staff to assist them in creating a relationship with the existing customers and to search for new customers
3) Re-educated the company to look at trends and to always seek new customers
Business now increasing as the distribution base is growing and existing clients are taking an increasing range.
For more info contact David Martin or give us a ring on 0333 444 8522 to discuss any ways in which we can assist you.