As we move into the academic Summer Term many students will be making Further Education choices – Uni or not? Increased tuition fees and worries about long term debt mean that they are often looking at alternatives, apprenticeships now being a serious option.
If you are replacing staff that are leaving or need to develop additional skills in your workplace, is having an apprentice a possible option? Benefits may include:
- can be more cost effective than hiring skilled staff, leading to lower overall training and recruitment costs
- apprentices tend to be eager, motivated, flexible and loyal to the company that invested in them
- apprenticeships deliver skills designed around your business needs providing the skilled workers you need for the future
- can also be used for existing staff moving into a new role or changed job role and need new skills
- development of current staff by using them as a mentor
Employing an apprentice is an option no matter what size your business and if you want more information on how you can make it work for you there are a number of sources of information:
- talk to your local college
- look at useful websites – www.apprenticeships.org.uk, www.apprenticeships-in-sussex.com, www.apprenticeshipguide.co.uk
If you need help in identifying skills gap in your business, now or as your business develops, then contact me – Deb Herbert – firstname.lastname@example.org.